This youth expedition consisted of 24 individuals age 18-30. The participants were from many South Pacific Islands, U.S, and Japan. The program ran from December 4 to 7, 2018.
In support of the change-making force of young people, PEAC Institute, a new partner of ICAN, The International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons, brought a group of students to the Nuclear Disarmament: Global Youth Forum, Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons in Auckland, New Zealand from December 4 to 7, 2018. We understand the necessity of youth involvement in high-level security discussions which implicate the safety of their future world.
This youth forum served as a platform in which young individuals engaged in a multicultural dialogue about peacekeeping with their peers. They will also obtain a clearer understanding of the responsibilities and realities facing political actors.
This project continues as the participants are implementing actions in their respective states in order to create a safer and more peaceful future world.
1) Do I need a visa? When and how would I get one if I get selected? If you are a US citizen you do not need a visa. If you are not, check the New Zealand embassy site: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/options/visit/explore-visitor-visa-options It will be your responsibility to get a visa, however, we can help with any needed documentation about the purpose of the trip.
2) Will I be back to attend classes on December 10th? Yes. You can take any flight leaving New Zealand after 7 pm on December 7th.
3) What is the commitment, what is expected of the individual before and after the trip? You will be expected to attend 1 meeting (in person or online) before departure, participate in a preparatory web series, and 1 meeting (in person or online) upon return.
4) Will I have any free time on the trip? Yes, there will be some free time during the day but you will be expected to attend meetings. Your evenings are free.
5) Is this trip free? No, you have to provide your own funding. However, if selected we do have student housing reserved and we will provide you links to airfare. The students who have already purchased their thickets paid between $1200-$1400 for airfare and housing is $150-$250 for the week. We recommend New Zealand Air. Flights can be found here: https://flightbookings.airnewzealand.com/vbook/actions/search